Caroline Turner’s Charity was formed in 1859. It was set up in the name of a member of the famous Turner family, who owned much of the land in North Ferriby and were generous benefactors towards the building of the current All Saints’ Church in the 19th century. The original charitable objectives demonstrated the founder’s desire to see Bible based Christian faith communicated in the village. The 150th anniversary has given the trustees an opportunity to work with the charity commissioners to give the charity a new lease of life and enable it to be of use to resource Christian projects in the village.
The trustees are pledged to meet during each year to allocate donations to causes which are in keeping with the following object:-
“To advance the Christian Faith, particularly in North Ferriby, for the benefit of the public by the provision of resources to provide Christian education and teaching and to enable Christians to practise their faith.”
Inflation has eaten away at the historic assets of the charity, but the trustees believe that if donations can be attracted, it could be a valuable resource for the gospel locally. Ideas include providing “venture capital” for Christian initiatives, for example short Christian holiday clubs for children and parish missions. Funding could be provided for educational and new media resources to communicate the faith to children, young people and others of all ages, and for supporting Christian workers to serve in the area.
Further details about the charity can be found on the Charity Commission’s website by searching for Caroline Turner’s Charity or Charity Number 504731.
Who was Caroline Turner?
Observant newcomers to Ferriby, as well as longstanding residents, will recognize the family surname as one associated with the village’s most famous Victorian family. References to the Turners are seen in many places (the Lane off High Street, the allotments and the old school on Church Road are three examples). Originally merchants from the north west, the Turner family lived in Ferriby House (now North Ferriby Nursing Home) from 1824 to 1902. They owned considerable amounts of land in the village until the estate was sold off in the early 20th century.
Little seems to be known of Caroline Turner herself other than she was a twin, one of the daughters of Ralph and Mary Ann Turner and she is buried with her parents, sisters and brother in the large family vault close to the north west of All Saints’ church. She is recorded as having died in March 1875 aged 62 in St Leonards, Sussex. The original Trust Deed laid down that special talks should be given in the village on subjects such as the meaning of the death of Jesus and the work of the Holy Spirit in bringing people to faith. Today’s objects remain consistent with the original concerns of this seemingly generous, Christian, Ferriby lady.
How can I make a donation?
Donations can be given in the confidence that they will be put to use locally for the sake of the gospel, according to the purpose of the charity.
Information about making single or regular donations, standing order forms and gift aid forms can be obtained from The Treasurer, Caroline Turner’s Charity, c/o All Saints’ Parish Hall, 19 Church Road, North Ferriby, East Yorkshire, HU14 3DA. Cheques made payable to Caroline Turner’s Charity can be sent to the same address or directly into the bank account (details provided upon application).